Saturday, May 28, 2016

Ireland: Irish National War Memorial Garden


Share at Facebook

Saturday, 05 March 2016


This lovely garden is actually to commemorate the Irish soldiers who have sacrificed their lives during the World War I. The war took part between 1914-1918. In total 300,000 Irish soldier participated on that war and died 49,400 out of them. That means almost 17 out of every 100 soldiers had died that time. The garden was designed by the great British architect Edwin Lutyens.





It was still my first week in Ireland, just popped in at last weekend. I was living near to the Heuston station. And the park was just a 10 minutes of walking distance from my house. As I didn't have any other plans, so went there to start my first Irish exploration. Irish weather is very mercurial. You have to be prepared for every conditions. So I put an umbrella inside my bag before leaving the house.





After a short 10 minutes of slow walking I have reached at the main gate of the park (I didn't know the park has few more gates) that is just beside the main road. After entering inside the park I was quite unsure to chose which direction to pick. I was just standing on a railing near the gate and a Croat girl came to me. She was asking me whether this was the War Memorial Garden or not.





I felt really funny as someone is asking for a location to a newcomer! Anyway I have affirmed her that it was the correct place with a great confidence. She was there to join her friends who arrived there early. She requested to use my cellphone to reach them but her friends didn't pick the call as my number was unknown to them. After her departure I have verified the garden's location once again from the map as she really made me confused :-)


This is known as Circular sunken rose garden.



The garden has two Circular sunken rose garden. Although there were hardly any rose left for the recent winter invasion. But the plants started growing once again. The circular garden has several layers and staircases around the small round pond that is having a very tiny fountain at the middle. I explored the area and was looking for any flower, but were hardly any. But I saw a Blackbird and a Collard dove foraging nearby.





Between the two Circular rose gardens it has a green field that contains the Great Cross of Sacrifice. It also has a small water fountain like monuments. People use to put flower to commemorate the soldiers (along with the government events). Under the gloomy sky the place made me feel sad, specially when I was thinking about the fate of the poor soldiers.





Anyway, the river Liffey is just flowing beside the memorial garden. It is not a very wide or deep river. But still this shallow river is one of the Ireland's prime river. I didn't do that much homework before going to that garden. So I didn't actually expect the Liffey river to be there. There were few small water birds on the river. The Mallard, Swan, Waterhen (or Common moorhen), Grey heron, etc I could remember. Some people were feeding the birds from their hand.





It was really freezing there. I use to hold my camera on my hand while I do traveling. But here in Ireland my hands use to get frozen if I keep them outside my pocket for a long (I didn't bring any gloves with me). But suddenly the sun came out for a while. Everything looked more bright around. The river Liffey was really colorful and picturesque under the bright sun. So I have decided to walk again beside the river Liffey.





Not too many tourists use to visit this park. At least I didn't see too many that day. Most of the people were local people who came to the park for jogging or to walk their dogs. So the place was less crowded and very peaceful.





After exploring the Irish National War Memorial Garden I have gone to that main gate located at the Southern side of the park. But it was closed and locked with a heavy lock. It made me worried as there were hardly any people near the gate. So I decided to go back near the river and ask the people about the exit.





I found a guy and he suggested me to use the exit near the Island bridge (Eastern side of the park). When I was getting out of the park through that gate, I found that was actually the main entrance. People have parked their cars there and everyone was using that exit point. After that using the GPS and map on my phone I have returned back to my house before the sunset.





About the Irish National War Memorial Garden:

This lovely garden is actually to commemorate the Irish soldiers who have sacrificed their lives during the World War I. The war took part between 1914-1918. In total 300,000 Irish soldier participated on that war and died 49,400 out of them. That means almost 17 out of every 100 soldiers had died that time. The garden was designed by the great British architect Edwin Lutyens.





How to go:

This War memorial garden is very easy to locate. It is just a 10 minutes of walking distance from the Heuston station. Also it is at the opposite of the Phoenix park (the park is at the other side of the river). The bus stoppage outside the park servers the following Dublin Buses 25A, 25B, 25D, 25X, 51D, 51X, 66X, 67X, 69, 69X, 79, 79A, 845, 847. That means plenty of options.


The War memorial garden on google map.



Where to stay:

As I live in Dublin I didn't need to stay in any hotel. But if you are an outsider you'd probably want to have a look at the list of hotels near War Memorial Garden. There are lot of tourists use to visit Dublin every year and you shouldn't face any issue with that.


This flower looks like Bengal Almond flower.



If you are a traveler or tourist here in Dublin, and you have an hour or to spend. Then this Garden should be on your list to visit. For the local people it is a lovely afternoon walking place.


From the far they looked like leafs, but these are flowers.






Did you notice the bird? It's is one of the smallest birds in Ireland, called Wren.



The Eurasian wren (Troglodytes troglodytes).



Very close to Irish bell flower.



Daffodil flower. They bloom a lot everywhere in Ireland during this time.
























The trees are leafless because of the winter (spring just started).






Ireland is a lovely green country. Not only in park, you'll see green everywhere.



A pathway inside the garden.



Suddenly the sun came up. These kind of bright sun doesn't last very long here.















These fruits are lovely, I don't know the name yet!









A Swan on river Liffey. You can feed them from your hand.



A male Mallard (or wild duck), Anas platyrhynchos.



A lovely male Blackbird.



Their name liveth for forever!



Someone placed an artificial garland to commemorate them.



When the sun is behind you, the front looks really amazing.



River Liffey with colorful bank and reflection.



River Liffey with colorful bank and reflection.






The shadow is mine :-).



River Liffey with colorful bank and reflection.



Visitors feed the Swan, Mallard, Waterhen, etc birds here from hand.



River Liffey with colorful bank and reflection.












Irish National War Memorial Garden,
South Circular Rd, Islandbridge,
Dublin 8,
Ireland
List of hotels near War Memorial Garden



This article has written by Lonely Traveler,
for the blog http://icwow.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment