About Nijhum Dip(নিঝুম দ্বীপ):
Nijhum Dip(নিঝুম দ্বীপ) is a very small island located at the shore of Bay of Bengal. Its a part of Hatia(হাতিয়া) union of Noakhali(নোয়াখালী) district. Initially the island was known as Chor Osman(চর ওসমান), after the name of a brave settler Osman(ওসমান) who established the first settlement with his buffalo & cattle. Later the government's high officials have changed that name. But still in documents, the island is known as Chor Osman.
This island is an ideal place for tourists, specially during the winter. I have shared my three days of experience in the separate articles Day-1, Day-2 and Day-3. You'll find lot of photos and more detail about the island on those links. You can have a look there if you have time to spare!
How to Go:
1) Launch named Panama(পানামা), and Tipu-5(টিপু-৫) use to go Hatia(হাতিয়া) from Dhaka(ঢাকা). A double bed cabin use to cost 1600 taka. If you want to save money, then have a ticket of open deck for 250 taka. It starts from Sadarghat(সদরঘাট) at 5:30 afternoon, and reaches at Hatia(হাতিয়া) at next morning, somewhere between 09:00 - 10:00. Contact number for cabin booking is 01711-348813.
It is often that travelers use to miss the launch for carelessness. If you unfortunately face such situation, then you have another 30 minutes to redeem your fault. Another launch use to leave at 06:00. Name of the launch is Sandra(সান্দ্রা) which goes to Poishar Hat(পয়সার হট্). This launch, and your launch of Hatia(হাতিয়া) use to meet at KathPotti(কাঠপট্টি) of Munsiganj(মুন্সিগঞ্জ). If you are lucky, then you can catch your missing launch from that jetty.
2) From Hatia(হাতিয়া), you can take trawler of Nijhum Dip(নিঝুম দ্বীপ). It will be around 3 hours of trawler journey based on the tide status of the river. It was 70 taka per person for us. If you miss trawler, then hire baby taxi for 700 taka to have a lift till Moktara Ghat(মোক্তারা ঘাট). It can handle maximum 5 people. For your information, the road condition is not good, and its a 1.5 hours of journey. Also, you have to cross the river by boat after leaving the baby taxi. In either ways, you will be at Bondor Tila(বন্দর টিলা) of Nijhum Dip(নিঝুম দ্বীপ).
3) From Bondor Tila(বন্দর টিলা), you can take a walk of 1.5 hours, or hire rickshaw for 150-200 taka to reach at the other side of the island, named Namar Bazar(নামার বাজার).
Where to stay:
We have stayed at Nijhum Resort(নিঝুম রিসোর্ট) at Namar Bazar(নামার বাজার). A five bed dormitory cost us 1800 taka per night. Rooms were very comfortable according to the remoteness of the island. Obokash Porjoton(অবকাশ পর্যটন) maintains that resort. So you can book rooms from Dhaka by visiting their office at Mogbazar(মগবাজার).
There is a boarding available at Bondor tila(বন্দর টিলা) named Chairman boarding. Also, another boarding named Moshjid Bedding(মসজিদ বেডিং) is available at Namar Bazar(নামার বাজার). You can check those too.
Where to eat:
There are several low facilitated restaurants available at the island for villagers. You can have your dinner and lunch there if you want. Otherwise you have to cook yourself!
Things to Ponder:
1. Do not leave any trace that you were there. Just return back silently, without disturbing the nature and the inhabitants of the island.
2. Rivers around that part of the country are having immense might. So think again before having a swim on river.
3. Act politely with locals. Do not get irritated by their continuum queries. Because its you who went there, not they.