Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Madaripur: Raja Ram Temple(Mandir)


Share at Facebook

Saturday, 03rd July 2010



I have started my expedition from Madaripur district with the great "Rajaram Mondir" which is located at the Khalia village from Tekerhat, Madaripur. If you are from dhaka, then Tekerhat will be before the Madaripur town. Or if you are Madaripur, then it will be beside the Dhaka highway. Tekerhat is a landmark from Madaripur, actually this is under the Rajoir Subdistrict.



From the bus stoppage, its only 5 taka rickshaw fair. Also for your information, the temple is near the "Peace Center" of Khalia. If you find its hard to locate the temple, then just ask people nearby about the Old Temple around. They can show you the path.



This is a two stored temple, and Bangladesh government taken control of this and promulgate this as the Archaeological heritage of the country. Its not known when the temple was built. From the name, its easily guess that, it was built by someone rich person Rajaram.



This lovely temple has noticeable number of terracotta on the wall and the pillar. The experts used to say the images from the temple actually depict some portion of the Mahabharat and Ramayan. But I found this hard to decode the tales from the image. If you are a archaeological heritage lover, then its a must visit place for you.

10 comments:

  1. Nice details, Is it possible to get details of a saint name KIRANCHAND DARBESH (Kiran chandra Chattopadya). He is from Khaila Village. The family house was Named Majher Bari.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can talk about this at "Khalia Peace Center" which is near to the temple. They may help you, if that saint was from that place or around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the pictures...have heard about my ancestor Rajaram Roy Choudhury since childhood.my dad could identify the temple from his childhood memories.
    Do you know if the palace...Raja Ram Roy's jomidar bari still exists? My dad was born there and would love to visit some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure about the existence of such palace around the temple. But Raja Ram was a rich person, so the government authorities may know about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bubbly-I am also from the "Roychoudhury family" of khalia.Rajaram RoyChoudhury is also my ancestor.I am also searching the jamider bari of my forefather.My dad born there,but left the place at early childhood.I heard some of his stolen memories of very early childhood at Roychoudhury jamiderbari-Durga pujo,mahis boli....

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Demon-Roychowdhury Jamider family of Khalia is renouned for giving birth of many freedom fighters at British rule.My own grandfather was a freedom fighter and was in jail for many days.His brother Chittopriyo Roychoudhury was "saheed" with Bagha Jatin at Buri Balam.I found a biography of him.Rajaram Roy was an ancestor of us..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to Demon that people like us with roots in Khalia are able to connect

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling proud to hear that...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am Indra Narayan Roy Chowdhury , also from Roy Chowdhury family. Raja Raja Ram was also my ancestor. Every details about Raja Ram Mandir and this family will be available in North Bengal University Museum,Siliguri, West Bengal founded by my grandfather Late Santipriyo Roy Chowdhury. Anybody of our family can contact my father Ranendra Narayan Roy Chowdhury @ 9434042624 / 03512 284801

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book Faridpurer ithihas by Anandonath Ray had details of the Roy choudhary and chatterjee family of khalia (pg 291 &292). The book is published by Dey 's publishing.

    ReplyDelete