Monday, May 31, 2010

Kushtia: Jugia Tati Para


Share at Facebook

Sunday, 9th may 2010

hand loom, gamcha, lungi, kushtia, jugia

After returning from the Jhaudia Shahi Mosque, I was almost at the end of my tour. I have to catch the bus at 4 at afternoon, and it was 1 at noon. So I decided to pass the time at "Tat Polli"(also known as "karigor para"), where the villagers used to make gamchha(kind of towel), lungi, etc using the hand looms.

hand loom, gamcha, lungi, kushtia, jugia

The village name is "Jugia". This took 20 taka van fair from the mazampur bus station. It took around 20-30 minutes to reach the village. I have express my objective to come at the villagers, and they just welcomed me for my purpose.

hand loom, gamcha, lungi, kushtia, jugia

They provided me a local boy named "Dulal" to help us to visit the local houses who are making gamchha and cloths using hand looms. That boy was really awesome. Helped me to enter the houses where women were working with the hand looms. Otherwise it was hard to enter any house, specially where village woman working.

hand loom, gamcha, lungi, kushtia, jugia

I have bought several gamchha from the local people for me and my friends. It was a nice experience to watch how the people are doing this. Believe me, its really a hard working job, and for this they are not paid equivalently. They just slapped from the mechanical industries. That's why now a days the number of people who are working with hand looms are shrinking day by day.

I have recorded several videos from the village about how they are making cloth using hand looms. Below are few of those.



No comments:

Post a Comment