Monday, May 31, 2010

Kushtia: Christian Cemetery


Share at Facebook

Sunday, 9th May 2010

kishtia christian cemetery

After returning from the Jhaudia Shahi Mosque, I found at the left side of the road(near mazampur bus stoppage) a christian cemetery. I couldn't resist myself to enter the cemetery.

kishtia christian cemetery

The main gate of the cemetery is locked from the inside. There is a small house inside the cemetery premise where the caretaker(I guess) used to live with his family. I found a girl aged 20-22 was inside the house. When I knocked the door, she just came out. I found that its my day, cause I can easily convince a girl. I just gave her a wide smile from my face, and requested to allow me to enter the cemetery. At first she wasn't interest to do so, but you know I know how to do it.

kishtia christian cemetery

Anyway, this cemetery is not that much large, but still this one is profound with some collection of old graves. For example a grave of Jone Elizabeth Cowley, which is 106 years of old. There are two graves where two young man buried. One is a man who died at the age of 25, around 140 years back, and another one is of a man of 36 who died around 125 years back.

kishtia christian cemetery

The graves really touch my heart, specially when I read the epitaphs. People left their beloved person here, and don't know what will happen few hundred years after, will there be anyone who will drop some bunch of roses over the grave? I don't know.

3 comments:

  1. I am the webmaster of the Old Cottonians Association and while doing an internet search/research on the Founder of Bishop Cotton School; I came across you reference to the Christian Cemetery at Kushtia. Apparently, Bishop George Edward Lynch Cotton died at Kushtia 6th October 1866 at the age of 53. His body swept away in the river, never to be found.
    I wonder if there is any record existing at Kushtia which documents Bishop Cotton's visit to Kushtia and his subsequent death there?
    The above facts can be read in this document online: http://oldcottonians.org/magazine/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/History-of-BCS-by-Raaja-Bhasin-and-Wendy-Dewan.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. in spite of Bishop's misfortune(and god's wish), we are happy to know that such a great man landed at our part of the world.

    i am not sure whether the christian society still knows about this incident or not. but so far I know, these people(christian) are well organized, and they must have some documents or similar things on Bishop's visit. if I go there again, i'll try to cull this info. specially by talking with the father of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, and when you go to Kushtia again or find any info you can please inform me. I will appreciate it. My email is webmaster AT oldcottonians DOT org

    ReplyDelete